Monday, October 12, 2009

The importance of tailoring specialization.

During one of those precious few moments I managed to play this weekend (due to my face hurting real bad), I realized something. I had lost a ton of gold on one thing: I had the wrong tailoring specialization.

This might be something that 99% of all tailors have realized already, but it just hadn't struck me earlier. The reason for this, is that pre-3.2, Ebonweave and Spellweave went for roughly the same amount, and Moonshroud went for about 5-10g more than both. Thus, I decided that spending 190g on a respec just wasn't worth it. I would be satisfied with just selling two Ebonweave instead, earning me the gold I needed.

Times have changed. Ebonweave is now the cheapest of the three, with prices varying from 65g during the worst of times, to 80g during the best of times. Moonshroud still lies on about the same price it always had. Spellweave prices, however, has skyrocketed. A single Spellweave now sells for 250g. And I've kept selling Ebonweave instead. The moment I realized this, I started calculating gold loss during the last couple of weeks. The results were horrible.

Let's say than Ebonweave goes for 80g, Spellweave goes for 250g. If I exclude material and auction house fees, that's 640g for 4 Ebonweave crafts with Ebonweave spec, and 1000g for 4 Spellweave crafts, meaning 1640g in 16 days. Not shabby. But if I had been Spellweave specced, results would be different. Then I'd made 320g from Ebonweave, and 2000g from Spellweave crafts, meaning 2320g in the same amount of time. A 680g loss. Concidering the low amount of time spent on crafting and selling the cloth, that's a severe loss of income, which should have been avoided.

I have now respecced to the proper specialization, and am now earning the correct amount of gold. Still, I wish I had figured this out sooner, it'd made my income grow a lot more. Aw well, everyone makes mistakes.

1 comment:

  1. Prices aren't quite as severe on my server;

    Ebonweave is 90g
    Moonshroud is 125g
    Spellweave is 220g

    Although it is still about a 60g gain each craft if someone were to change from Moonshroud to Spellweave.

    2120 - 1600 = 520g loss over the same period.

    So it seems that the higher prices of Ebonweave and the lower prices of Spellweave offset the loss, but as you say, over 500g loss for such minimal effort is quite considerable.

    ReplyDelete